November 18th was a historic and very remarkable day in the City of Dar es Salam, Tanzania as over 300 peace makers from 30 countries converged to make Africa Better not Bitter through their creative solutions and initiatives to socio- economic advancement in Africa.
Speaking with the press, Ambassador Babalola Omoniyi, Founder of the Pan African Humanitarian Summits and Awards summarized the event’s activities thus: “The Pan-African Humanitarian Summit/Awards is an annual event conceived to identify issues in Africa and give proper recognition through the conferment of awards of excellence and distinction to individuals and organizations who have distinguished themselves as brilliant exemplars of society or who have contributed towards the attainment of peace and respect for human life and dignity.
This year’s edition attracted Participation of over 300 highly recognized leaders in various sectors of industry, government, business and humanity from 37 African countries to identify the barriers to peace in Africa and provide a holistic and multi-dimensional approach to sustainable peace and development in Africa.
The summit which was held in the morning with the theme “Peace is Possible” witnessed discussions from 16 panelists with Professor Patrick Lumumba and Alvaro Rodriguez of the United Nations as Lead speakers.” The climax of the event was the evening award ceremony that featured music, cultural dance, poem citations and award presentations.
The event was organized by the Pan African Project in partnership with the Youth United Nations of Tanzania. This year’s winners are:
- H.E Dr. John P.J Magufuli (President of Tanzania)
- H.E Dr. Jakaya Kikwete (Former President of Tanzania)
- Prof. Patrick Loch. O Lumumba (CEO, Kenya School of Law)
- H.E Dame Patience Jonathan (Former First Lady of Nigeria)
- Hon. Patrick Matibini (Speaker, Zambian National Assembly)
- Abubakar Sulieman Gumi (Founder Victims of Violence, Nigeria)
- Amb. Raphael Obonyo (Author, Conversation about African Youths in Kenya)
- Karima Rhanem (Founder International Centre for Diplomacy – Morocco)
- Aya Chebbi (Co-founder voice of women initiative, Tunisia)
- Cloud Media (TV Station of the Year Award)
- Daniel Owusu (Founder, Orientation Africa, Ghana)
- Amb. Dr. Salim A Salim (Former Secretary General of the African Union)
- Lt. Gen. James A. Mwakibolwa (Head of Land Forces Command, Tanzania)
- Mohammed Dewji (Founder – Modewji Foundation)
- Mw. Julius Nyerere (Posthumous Award)
- Tausi Suedi (Founder, Childbirth Survival – Tanzania)
- Francine Muyumba (President Pan African Youth Union – DRC)
- Rebecca Gyumi (Founder Msichana Initiative)
- Hon. Hadjira Oumouri (Member of Parliament Union of Comoros)
- Hon. Mously Diakhate (Member of Parliament Senegal)
- Hon. Petrina Haingura (Deputy Minister of Health, Namibia)
- Gilead Okolonkwo (Founder BeepMagnet Group –Nigeria)
- Melvin P Foote (Founder Constituency for Africa – USA)
- Kamba Rumbidzai (Founder ZIMwana Worldwide)
- Sophia Mbeyela (Founder, Peace Life for People living with Disability – Tanzania)
- Oziomachukwu Mojekwu (Founder Ozzybosco Smile Foundation – Nigeria)
- Suzi Carla Barbosa (MP Guinea Bissau & President, women Parliamentarian Network)
- Gilyto Semedo (Founder CVMA – Cape Verde)
- Zakaria El Hamel (Founder Youth for Peace – Morocco)
- Hon. Chris Chae (Secretary General Africa Future Forum)
- Ibrahim Ceesay (Founder African Artiste Peace Initiative – Gambia)
- Dr. Reginald Mengi (Executive Chairman IPP Media Group- Tanzania)
- Joseph Edet (M.D Lashakara Culture – Nigeria)
- Tonpribo Tom Inko-Tariah (Founder, Goodluck Development Foundation)
Peace is possible and it begins with me!